Thursday 23 April 2009

Sunshine Cleaning (2008)

Sunshine Cleaning is a movie about a young mom Rose Lorkowski (Amy Adams), who raises her son Oscar (Jason Spevack) by herself and is living in a small town, close to her father Joe (Alan Arkin) and her younger sister Norah (Emily Blunt), who still lives with their dad.

Rose was once the head cheerleader and got all the attention of the boys back then. But now she is facing the fact that she is a single mom, still having affair with former football player Mac (Steve Zahn), now a husband to another woman. If this already makes her feel bad about herself, what about the fact that all the other girls from high school have families and careers and she is simply a maid in a small cleaning company, going from house to house and cleaning other people's (also her former school friends) homes.

Then suddenly she hears from Mac that there is a need for crime-scene cleaners and decides to try this thing out with her sister Norah. Norah is a bit rebellious young lady and first laughs out loud at the whole idea, but soon they both find themselves at the crime scenes, cleaning up after all those deadly crimes. Things start to get better for Rose and the business is growing, until Norah messes things up and Rose is facing a new challenge and tries to figure out how to sort things out again and how to forgive her sister.

Sunshine Cleaning is a comedy all right, but I would say that this film is a mixture of both comedy and drama. Okay, it sort of plays around the peculiar lifestyle Rose and her family has and gives you a grin every now and then, but there is also some deeper aspects into this film. It's also a story about sisterhood and motherhood, the family ties and the freedom and acceptance to be yourself amongst your family members. It's also a story about new opportunities and the fact that it really doesn't matter what you do for a living, as long as you enjoy it.

Cast is well-selected and believable. I myself especially enjoyed Emily Blunt as Rose's sister Norah. She really caught my attention and I'm very curious to see more roles from this young lady.

The storyline is bubbly and colorful, but does also have its melancholy moments. It keeps your interest alive till the very end. This is a good choice for a movie to see if you want to experience a mixture of comedy and drama combined with everyday humour and some very interesting career choices.



Directed by Christine Jeffs
Written by Megan Holley
Cast Amy Adams, Emily Blunt, Alan Arkin, Steve Zahn, Mary Lynn Rajskub

3 comments:

Helinä Laajalahti said...

For some reason I have not come accross this movie at all before. Sounded very interesting because I like dark humour and based on your description, the humour is pretty dark in this one?

Interesting idea for a comedy. I'll be adding this to my "to see" list :)

Sari said...

I hadn't either, but then I suddenly saw a trailer of this and got interested. This movie is a bit different (this seems to be the trend right now to make dramas and comedies), and I would say that the humour in this one is more everyday humour, not perhaps the darkest black humour, like in Rachel Getting Married or In Bruges, but worked for me though.

I would definitely recommend for you to see this and I's curious to hear your thoughts about this one.

Sari said...

I meant to write: I'm curious up there.... ;-)